Paleo Friendly Eggplant Lasagna
Here’s a basic Paleo friendly lasagna recipe for those who, like me, miss pasta!
You can change this up and customize it to your own taste by adding mushrooms, spinach and other veggies; using ground pork, ground turkey or no ground meat at all; layering some ricotta cheese; adding different spices, etc. Or use your own favourite lasagna recipe and make it Paleo by substituting the eggplant layers instead of pasta noodles.
- 1 or 2 eggplants, thinly sliced length-wise (you can substitute zucchini if you prefer)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large can of no sugar added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Packet of dry Italian dressing seasoning
- Your favorite cheeses (shredded or thinly sliced)
- Garlic powder, salt, pepper to taste
- Dip the sliced eggplant into beaten egg, and then dip in parmesan cheese and lightly fry in hot oil until the parmesan is golden. These will become your lasagna “noodles” in the recipe.
- Cook up the ground beef, onion and peppers in the bottom of a lightly oiled saucepan until cooked thoroughly. Drain any liquid.
- Into the ground beef mixture add one large can of tomato sauce, a dry packet of Italian dressing seasoning mix, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and then remove from heat.
- In a lightly greased lasagna pan layer eggplant, sauce, cheese
- Repeat layering two more times and then bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted to a golden brown.